Healthy Cooking For Weight Loss
Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Healthy Eating for Weight Loss and other Weight Loss topics.
What are some tips for healthy cooking?
If you go to your local bookstore you can find excellent specialty cookbooks that provide healthy weight loss recipes. These cookbooks can help you lower calories, total fat, saturated fat and salt in the food you prepare at home. However, you don't have to get rid of your favorite cookbooks to prepare healthy meals at home. Use these healthy cooking guidelines when preparing meals for you and your family.
- Bake, broil, poach, roast, boil, grill or microwave meats instead of frying.
- When using ground beef, drain the fat well and rinse with water before adding to other ingredients.
- Choose skim milk, 1% milk or evaporated milk instead of 2% milk, whole milk, or cream.
- Use 2 egg whites or ¼ cup of egg substitute in place of one whole egg in recipes.
- When making dishes with cheese, substitute low-fat cheese or decrease the amount of regular cheese by ½.
- Prepare main dishes with whole grain pasta, brown rice, peas, or beans. Add small amounts of lean meat for flavor.
- Use salt sparingly in cooking. Use herbs and spices to flavor food. Mrs. Dash, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder are common favorites.
- Remove the skin from chicken and trim all visible fat from meats.
- Buy tuna packed in water instead of oil.