Using Functional Foods For Weight Loss
Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Healthy Weight Loss and other Weight Loss topics.
What are functional foods?
Functional foods have gotten a lot of publicity here lately. Functional foods may provide health benefits beyond the established nutrients found in the food. Over the last decade the use of functional food has been shown to significantly reduce the risk of chronic aliments such as certain cancers, heart disease, and arthritis to name a few. Another positive aspect of functional foods is that when consumed in moderation, they are low in calories. Choosing functional foods at mealtime is an all natural weight loss plan that could help you live a longer and healthier life. Examples of functional food to add to your all natural diet are listed below:
- Plant Sources
- Oats—contains soluble fiber that may lower cholesterol and decrease risk of heart disease
- Soy protein—potential to reduce cholesterol and lower the risk of cardiovascular disease, cancer, osteoporosis, and to alleviate menopausal symptoms
- Flaxseed—contains omega-3 fatty acid which has been studied for its potential role in decreasing cholesterol and reducing the risk of cancer
- Tomatoes—contains lycopene, a compound that may reduce cancer risk
- Broccoli and other Cruciferous vegetables—decreases risk of cancer
- Citrus fruits—may be protective against certain types of cancer
- Tea—potential to decrease risk of cardiovascular disease and cancer
- Animal Sources
- Fish—contains omega-3 fatty acid, studied for potential role in lowering cholesterol and reducing cardiovascular disease
- Dairy products—may help prevent osteoporosis and reduce the risk of cancer
- Beef— contains conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) and has been studied for weight loss and cancer prevention